what is TCM?
August 1, 2023
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is a system of medicine that has been practiced in China for thousands of years. It is based on the principles of balance and harmony, and aims to restore the body's natural balance and promote overall health and wellbeing. TCM practitioners use a variety of techniques to diagnose and treat patients, including acupuncture, cupping, tai chi, moxibustion, herbal practices, and meditation.
The basic concept of TCM is that a vital force of life, called Qi, surges through the body. Imbalance to Qi can cause disease and illness. This imbalance is most commonly thought to be caused by an alteration in the opposite and complementary forces that make up the Qi, called yin and yang.
More on TCM practices:
- Acupuncture involves the insertion of thin needles into specific points on the body to stimulate the flow of energy and restore balance. Acupuncture can be used to treat a wide range of health concerns, including digestive issues, respiratory problems, sleep disorders, reproductive issues, stress, and more. It is generally considered safe when performed by a trained practitioner.
- Cupping is a traditional Chinese therapy that involves placing small glass cups or bamboo jars on the skin to create suction. The suction draws the skin and underlying tissue upwards into the cup, which can help to improve circulation, reduce muscle tension, and alleviate pain. Cupping is often used to treat respiratory issues, digestive problems, and muscle and joint pain.
- Tai chi is a gentle form of exercise and meditation that originated in China. It involves a series of slow, graceful movements that are performed in a flowing, continuous sequence. Tai Chi can help to improve balance, flexibility, and muscle strength, and has been shown to have a number of health benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety, improving sleep, and boosting the immune system.
- Moxibustion is a traditional Chinese therapy that involves the use of heat to stimulate specific points on the body. It is usually performed using a stick of moxa (a dried herb) that is burned near the skin to generate heat. Moxibustion is believed to help improve circulation, boost the immune system, and reduce pain and inflammation.
- Herbal practices involves the use of plants and their extracts to treat a wide range of health conditions. Herbal medicine can be used to treat a wide range of health concerns, including digestive issues, respiratory problems, sleep disorders, reproductive issues, stress, and more. It is important to note that herbal medicine can interact with other medications and may not be suitable for everyone. It is always best to consult with a qualified practitioner before beginning any new herbal regimen.
- Meditation is a practice that involves focusing the mind on a particular object, thought, or activity to achieve a state of calm and clarity. It has been practiced for centuries in many different cultures, and has been shown to have a number of health benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety, improving sleep, and increasing focus and concentration. There are many different types of meditation, including mindfulness meditation, transcendental meditation, and guided meditation.
TCM can be effective for a wide range of health concerns, including digestive issues, respiratory problems, sleep disorders, reproductive issues, stress, and more. It can be used as a standalone treatment or in conjunction with Western medicine to provide a more comprehensive approach to health and wellness.
Does it work?
While there is some scientific evidence to support the use of TCM for certain health conditions, more research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms behind these effects and to determine the best use of TCM for specific health conditions. However, TCM has practiced for thousands of years and provides a natural treatment for various health concerns.
At Jian, we like to think of herbal practices like drinking water or the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctors away.” TCM practices are to be incorporated as an everyday lifestyle and not a one-time cure for diseases. We predicate our practices on the belief that anything you put into your body can have an effect on your health and wellbeing and our goal is to provide accessibility and awareness to the space.
While TCM can be effective for a wide range of health concerns, it is important to note that the effectiveness of TCM treatments may vary from person to person. It is also important to note that TCM should not be used as a substitute for evidence-based medical care. If you are considering using TCM for a specific health concern, it is always best to consult with a qualified practitioner and to discuss your treatment options with your primary healthcare provider.
At Jian, we believe in supply chain transparency and responsibly sourced ingredients from around the world. We prioritize building trusted relationships with our partners to provide high-quality, clean, and sustainable ingredients that you can fully trace.